In the bible marriage is defined as a covenant, a sacred bond between a man and a woman instituted by and publicly entered into before God. Below I have done some research on the Lords perception and rules of marriage, attached you will find verses that prove his word. This is a great post to share and discuss with your significant other.
God's plan for the marriage covenant involves at least the following five important principles,
(1) It is FOREVER. Marriage is intended to be permanent, since it was established by God (Matthew 19:6; Mark 10:9). Marriage represents a serious commitment that should not be entered into lightly. It involves a sworn promise, not just to your spouse, but before God.
(2) The sacredness of marriage. Marriage is not just a human agreement between two individuals. It is a relationship before and under God (Genesis 2:22).
(3) The intimacy of marriage. Marriage is the most intimate of all human relationships. It unites a man and a woman to become "one-flesh" (Genesis 2:23 -25). Marriage involves leaving your father and your mother and being united to one's spouse, it is the breaking off of two separate families and creating your own.
(4) The mutuality of marriage. Marriage is a relationship of selflessly giving yourself to your partner (Ephesians 5:25-30). The two people are to be first and foremost concerned about the well being of the other person and to be committed to each other in constant love and devotion. To obtain constant love and devotion for your partner there are a few key roles that come to play...
- Forgiveness: To show forgiveness even when all earthly emotions are trying to hold you back.
- Restoration: To recognize when an area in your marriage needs repairing and to take action upon it.
- Submission: Oh yes I said it, submit, let me explain. THE SUBMISSION OF WIVES TO THEIR HUSBANDS STEMS FROM THE WIFE’S SUBMISSION TO CHRIST. Ladies if our men are leading us towards the Lord and leading under his authority then as wives we are serving the Lord by listening and following our husbands. No, submit does not mean roll over and obey.
(5) The EXCLUSIVENESS of marriage. Marriage is not only permanent, sacred, intimate, and mutual, it is also exclusive (Genesis 2:22-25; 1 Corinthians 7:2-5). This means that no other human relationship must come between the marriage of a husband and wife. Jesus treated sexual immorality of a married person, including even a husband's lustful thoughts, very seriously (Matthew 5:28; 19:9). This is a biggie everyone! Make sure your thoughts line up with your heart for the Lord. Learn to control the negative thoughts and rid them.